The student news site of Faith Christian High School

The Talon

• May 22Congratulations to Sarah Yocum: 3 More State Titles!

• May 22Baseball Heads to State on Tuesday!

Book of Will: Play Review

from grabticketsnow.com

Mikayla Martin, Editor-in-Chief

Shakespeare is one of the most influential writers in the English language. He wrote over thirty plays and 100 sonnets, and invented more than 500 words. Without him, masterpieces such as Hamlet, Macbeth, Midsummer’s Night Dream, and Romeo and Juliet would never have existed. His words have inspired centuries of artists, ranging from playwrights, actors, and writers. His influence on the world is undeniable. However, half of his plays would never have seen the light of day had it not been for a few dedicated and loyal friends.

The Book of Will is a debuting play at the Buell Theater. Its introduction in Denver is its global premiere. A little while ago, I had the honor of seeing Book of Will, which played through February 26th. The story follows three friends of Shakespeare’s who fought to preserve his timeless legacy. In the years following the great playwright’s death, many thieves stole Shakespeare’s words and sold them for profit. These stolen plays were not of the same quality as his true works, and his friends decided that the thefts must stop. They did their best to collect all of Shakespeare’s plays, which proved difficult, because he never wrote any of his scripts in complete form, only distributing the individual lines to each actor. The friends scoured bookshops and dusty backstage storage houses to find his words. It is thanks to them that Shakespeare’s works were not lost.

The play itself was incredible. I could tell it was a newly-published play, just by some of the writing and awkward movements by some of the actors, but overall it was stellar. The set itself was a mixture of an old English pub, and a modern-day coffee shop you could find here in America. This showed how Shakespeare’s influence still affects the world today. On top of the basic layer of finding Shakespeare’s plays, the play also introduced the concept of mortality and the importance of leaving a legacy. The friends, as they grew in age, had to face their deaths, along with the deaths of their loved ones. The show balanced the concept of death with life, as it also featured blossoming young love, and the promise of a hopeful future. Overall, the play was a beautiful tribute to Shakespeare: an unknown story that deserves to be told just as much as Shakespeare’s works of fiction. I would recommend anyone who is even slightly interested in Shakespeare to see this play, as it brings a new light to a legend.

Visit the Denver Center of Performing Arts website to see photographs from the show, actor profiles, and a video tour of the set: http://www.denvercenter.org/blog-posts/news-center/2017/01/19/video-photos-your-first-look-at-the-book-of-will .