The student news site of Faith Christian High School

The Talon

• September 21Homecoming 2017: Remember to RSVP in the Cafeteria at Lunch!

Spreading Jesus: An Ecuador Story

Mikayla Martin, Editor in Chief

Spring Break, 2017. While many students were traveling to warm beaches, vacationing in family homes, or enjoying some much needed shut eye, a group twenty four students and staff journeyed to the South American country of Ecuador. The going was rough, right from the start; the team faced an unexpected challenge by missing their flight to Quito, the capital of Ecuador. The flight from Denver to Dallas was delayed four hours, making a tight window to catch the next flight. The group ran the entire length length of the Dallas airport, but they reached the gate just as the plane pulled away from the loading dock. The team was stuck in Dallas for the night, spending it in a nearby hotel, until the following morning, when they flew to Miami. From Miami, the team then flew to Quito, Ecuador; then, they flew to Manta, a coastal town where they spent the rest of the week with the mission group Extreme Response.

The first day, the group went to a church in a small town called Pacoche, and they met Pastor Fabian and his wife, Graciela. They teamed up with the local youth group, and the group split into two. The first group went to build a house for a member of the church, while the other group repaired a tin roof for a disabled member in the community. They ended the first day playing a soccer (fútbol) match against the local boys. The Faith team lost…by a lot. Nevertheless, the team bonded with the local youth group as the community began to welcome them.

For the next several days, the Ecuador team went to the worksites, laying a concrete foundation, building up stone walls, and building cisterns for another family in the community of Pacoche. The work was difficult; mixing concrete was certainly draining, and the art of wall building was difficult to master. However, the trip was not all work; in-between jobs, the Faith students held Vacation Bible Studies, teaching the local youth how to tie dye (which was extremely messy), playing games, sharing testimonies, and telling the children about the fruit of the spirit. The Faith kids also got to explore the jungle, finding poisonous snails, seeing howler monkies and massive trees. Not only did the team explore the land, but they played by the sea, spending a morning on the beach with the children from the youth group. Each day, the Faith kids bonded with the kids in the community, creating close relationships founded in Christ.

Perhaps the most impactful of it all, though, were the final two nights in Pacoche. Wednesday night, Fabian and Graciela held a bonfire, where American and Ecuadorian youth alike shared testimonies and worshipped. God showed how big and far-reaching his love is when the youth group and the Faith students worshipped him with the same song in two different languages. To cap off the bonfire, the team roasted marshmallows to make an Ecuadorian s’more. For some of the youth group, this was the first time they ever ate marshmallows.

On the final night, the plans were to drive over to Pacoche to see a church service. God had other plans. It rained… a lot. The FCA team would not be able to go to Pacoche or to say goodbye to the new friends that were made. However, God provided through it all, bringing over thirty members of the Pacoche community to the hotel where the students were staying. The youth group and families with whom they had been working side by side piled into the backs of open trucks in the rain, to say goodbye. That night, the team worshipped once more, singing praises to God in two different languages. Fabian spoke to them, and as a surprise for the Faith team, the community made gifts for them. They made a handwoven basket for each of the students and staff, with chocolate and sweets inside. They also picked a verse they felt would speak to each individual student. Finally, the night came to a close, with tear-filled eyes painting every face, both American and Ecuadorian. Instead of a final goodbye, the two groups parted with a “Hasta luego,” knowing that they would see each other again if not in this life, then in the next. The bond that was formed between the two groups far transcended the time together.

With much reluctance, the team flew back to Quito, and spent the day exploring the sites of the city. They went to the Equator museum, learning how to shrink heads, grow chocolate, and walk along the equator. They also traveled to a mock village, where the braver members of the group tried Cuy, also known as Guinea Pig. They had the chance to shop for gifts, many people getting either sweaters or ponchos. They also visited the Catholic basilica and faced their fear of heights to climb to the top spire of the church. They ate dinner ate at Extreme Response’s office building, where they once again had to say goodbye to someone: Pete, the fearless missionary who led the team through their various projects.

The return home was dreaded, but it inevitably came. Each heart came home changed. God showed the FCA team his love for the people of Ecuador, and many have already signed up to go again next year.

See the Arvada Press article about the Ecuador trip at http://arvadapress.com/stories/it-struck-me-hard-the-things-we-take-for-granted,245995?