The student news site of Faith Christian High School

The Talon

Taking a Sit: A Christian Response to the NFL Protests

Marsella Evans, Staff Writer

The protest of NFL players  by sitting out during the national anthem continues to be a hot topic right now.  With many players from seven teams choosing to show their dissent, it is easy to see why this has caused a stir. Many people have argued that the protests are disrespectful to those who have fought and died to earn the freedom of Americans. It is difficult to swallow the idea of going against something that represents American national unity and freedom. Those who are protesting have said that they do not mean to go against the service of men and women who have given so much for them; they are just trying to bring about positive change in the nation. On the Panthers website, panthers.com, one protester, Julius Peppers said, “I want to get one thing clear: This wasn’t about disrespecting the military, disrespecting the police, first responders – none of that. It was about me making a decision as a man on my two feet. I didn’t want to ask anybody else to do anything with me. I thought it was appropriate to stay in. We know what went on this week; the comments that were made by the President. I felt like he attacked our brothers – my brothers in the league. I felt it was appropriate to stand up with them and stay in the locker room.” The protest was initially about the mistreatment of those who are racial minorities. “We will not stand for the injustice that has plagued people of color in this country,” Seahawks players said in a statement released by the team and reported by Los Angeles Times. “Out of love for our country and in honor of the sacrifices made on our behalf, we unite to oppose those that would deny our most basic freedoms. We remain committed in continuing to work towards equality and justice for all.” The goal of the protests were honorable, but were their intentions clear and harmless? The hurt some veterans have felt may not have been worth it. The important thing to remember is that Christians are called to be peacemakers. Whatever political views a person has, he or she should listen to both sides and stay respectful, in order to benefit all. Heated and useless arguments will draw the world away from Christ, and Christians are called to be better than that. In Ephesians 4:29, Paul says, “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. ” All Americans need to pray about how best to handle this situation correctly, and they need to begin to build back a unified nation that can grow and reform to justice in a positive way.