Behind the Scenes at Hello, Dolly!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Behind the Scenes at Hello, Dolly!

Hello, Dolly! Student Directing Team

Hello, Dolly! Student Directing Team

Chris Powers

Hello, Dolly! Student Directing Team

Chris Powers

Chris Powers

Hello, Dolly! Student Directing Team

Faith Paschke, Staff Writer

Ah, another show, another year. My how time has flown by, but it gives even more of a reason to look back on this great season! As one of the student directors of Hello, Dolly!, it was such a privilege to get to be behind the making and progress of the show. We were all excited to start and sad to go, but we all left happy, successful, and exhausted.

At the start of this masterpiece were flaws, flaws like not knowing how a couple of the dances would go! The leads worked tireless, strenuous hours to cram in time for their homework during rehearsal. When set crew had no cues for a while, trying to do homework was one of the many past times…until it came time to practice with the lights and getting around in the dark. Much of the work for set crew, besides moving set pieces on and off the stage, of course, was getting actors ready for their song cues and scurrying to glue the plastic champagne glasses that continued to fall off the waiter trays until closing night of the show. As funny as it was hearing plastic glasses fall off trays, we all knew what we’d be doing during our break times.

Overall, the atmosphere of the entire show was wonderful, as well as all of the actors themselves. It was like living in an entire community for a while that was living in the 1900s like Dolly Levi herself. It truly was a great experience to make effects happen and to bring the magic out in the stage. With the help of the entire cast; Mrs. Harmon; Mrs. Lamb; Mrs. MacPhee; Mr. Harmon; the choreographer, Stephanie; and the sound crew, we would not have been able to even closely amount to any of the miracle action that happened on stage. Countless hours were spent rehearsing, many actors were exhausted and/or sick, and an incredible amount of amazing and unforgettable memories were made. Being a part of Hello, Dolly! back stage was so enjoyable. Many a wild ride was had by all of the cast and crew, and had we not been a true team, together, none of Hello, Dolly! would have been nearly as breathtaking.